A student in a health and physical education course at NIST will be immersed in an environment that develops mental, social and physical well-being. Through taking part in a variety of challenging contexts, students will have the opportunity to develop life skills, knowledge, understanding, positive attitudes and values. These include encouraging the growth of resilience, respecting diversity, valuing regular physical activity, supporting others and being able to collaborate positively. As the students develop these attributes, they will be empowered to make healthy and informed choices, and appreciate the value of active living.
Personal, Social, Health & Physical Education in the PYP
Within the PYP personal, social and physical education is organized around the strands of identity, active living and interactions. Identity focuses on our own beliefs, values, attitudes, experiences and feelings, and how they shape us. This includes understanding strengths, limitations and challenges, as well as the ability to cope successfully with situations of change and adversity. Active living explores the factors that contribute to developing and maintaining a balanced, healthy lifestyle, as well as the promotion of safety, understanding rights and responsibilities, and taking action for healthy living. Interactions promotes an understanding of how an individual interacts with other people, other living things and the wider world, including awareness and understanding of similarities and differences, and an appreciation of the environment and humankind’s responsibility as custodians of the planet for future generations. The PSPE curriculum is integrated into transdisciplinary units of inquiry and is also taught through individual subjects, most notably physical education, where students experience activities such as track and field, swimming, movement composition (e.g., gymnastics, dance, synchronized swimming), games, adventure challenges and health-related fitness.
The aims of PYP programme are to encourage and enable students to:
- reflect on the development of personal, social and physical well-being; develop and apply strategies to help manage situations of change and adversity; and work toward achieving personal goals
- master new skills and techniques in a variety of physical activities
- develop strategies to improve individual and team performance in physical activities
- understand the factors that contribute to a healthy lifestyle
- use cooperative behaviors in order to function as part of a group or team
- reflect on interactions with other people, other living things and the wider world
- appreciate the interdependent relationships between humans, other living things and the environment.
Personal, Social, Health & Physical Education in the MYP
MYP physical and health education aims to empower students to understand and appreciate the value of being physically active, and develop the motivation for making healthy life choices through the development of knowledge, skills and attitudes that promote the holistic nature of well-being. Students explore a variety of concepts that help foster an awareness of physical development and health perspectives, empowering them to make informed decisions and promoting positive social interaction. Through physical and health education, students learn to appreciate and respect the ideas of others, and develop effective collaboration and communication skills. This subject area also offers many opportunities to build positive interpersonal relationships that can help students to develop a sense of social responsibility, and the enjoyment, engagement and confidence in physical activity in order to achieve and maintain a balanced, healthy life. The aims of MYP physical and health education are to encourage and enable students to:
- use inquiry to explore physical and health education concepts
- participate effectively in a variety of contexts
- understand the value of physical activity
- achieve and maintain a healthy lifestyle
- collaborate and communicate effectively
- build positive relationships and demonstrate social responsibility
- reflect on their learning experiences.
Personal, Social, Health & Physical Education in the DP
This rigorous course enables students to inquire into systems of the human body and explore how and why these systems work together. In their study of sports, exercise and health science, students learn how to apply their knowledge and understanding by critically analyzing human performance, and through planning and conducting laboratory investigations.