Thank You for Considering NIST!
NIST welcomes families from all over the world to join our community, and applications are accepted for review throughout the year. However, we strongly believe that selecting a school for your child is one of the most important decisions you can make, and one that deserves careful consideration. Whenever possible, before submitting an application, we highly encourage parents to arrange a visit or a virtual meeting with a member of our admissions team.
- The NIST school year begins in August, and online applications open in September of the previous year. For applicants with Thai citizenship, the deadline for application is mid-December of the previous year, as we begin processing the applications in January.
- Families who are moving from overseas and looking for a mid-year enrollment are welcome to apply at any time. Please note that we normally run a wait pool in some year levels due to limited places.
- If you are unsure of which year level you should select for your child when you apply, consult our age/year level equivalents, which show how the NIST year levels correspond to differing ages and national curricula.
If you are applying to NIST for the first time, you will need to submit a few key details to allow us to generate your application.
Current & Returning Families
If you currently have a child at NIST or have applied previously, we should already have your information on file.
What Comes Next?
After you submit the pre-application, the following four steps will conclude the admissions process.
Step 1: Contact by the Admissions Team
Our admissions team will review the pre-application/application to see whether we can accommodate your child(ren), depending on our current space situation, and will get in touch with you shortly.
Once we are able to move forward, we will inform you about the next step, which will include submitting the following documents (if you have not already done so as a current or returning family):
- School reports
- Recommendation forms
- Medical form
- Passport scans and birth certificate
- Legal documents (if applicable)
- Other supporting documents (if applicable; e.g., IEP, educational psychological report, etc.)
Step 2: Application Review by Admissions Committee
Our admissions committee will review all complete applications in accordance with the school’s admissions criteria and to see whether or not we are able to cater for the year level. The length of this process varies depending on the time of year at which you apply, and factors taken into account about each applicant include:
- Class size/space availability
- English language proficiency
- Previous school records and recommendation(s)
- Siblings currently at NIST and alumni siblings
- IB programme experience
- Admissions test/academic ability
- Extra-curricular/community involvement
Step 3: Admissions Assessment
After completing the above steps, candidates will be invited to sit for an admissions assessment. In some cases, children may be invited for an interview and assessment in order to help to determine their educational abilities and possible needs such as English as an additional language (EAL) assistance or other specialized support. All elementary school assessments take place at the NIST campus. In certain circumstances, the admissions team can arrange for the secondary school assessment to be taken at the applicant’s current school. All candidates must pay the assessment fee of 2,500 baht, which is non-refundable, regardless of entry to the school.
After reviewing the assessment results, school records and recommendations, the admissions committee will make a final decision as to whether or not the child may be enrolled at NIST. Please note that the admissions assessment material is confidential and considered to be the property of the school.
Step 4: Enrollment
Families will be notified as soon as possible of the admissions decision. After this notification and the submission of all documents requested by the school, the actual enrollment takes place. Once a place has been offered, the family has a limited period, specified by the school, in which to accept it in line with the NIST Conditions of Acceptance. At the time of acceptance to the school, certain fees are payable. This will be explained in further detail by the admissions team.
Families who choose to accept an offer of enrollment may prepare for the transition by reviewing the information in Starting at NIST. Those arriving in Bangkok from overseas may also want to look through the resources provided in Moving to Bangkok.